Tuesday, February 22, 2011

SQL Management Studio 2005 Express x64 Install Fails

On one of my Windows Server 2008 x64 boxes running SQL 2005 Express I ran into a situation where I needed to install the Management Studio. After downloading and running the installer from Microsoft's site I got the following error:

"This installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with the package. The error code is 29506."

I tried re-downloading the package and changing what was getting installed and even modifying the install directory to no avail. Finally I noticed that it was failing on the step "Setting File Security". After noticing that I went and set the UAC to the lowest possible settings and it installed correctly. Looks like the UAC does not like that installer for some reason...

No comments:

Post a Comment